President Barack Obama outlined a new plan that will allow religious employers not to offer contraception and sterilization services to their employees but would compel insurance companies to do so. CNS photo/Reuters

Obama compromise on U.S. contraceptive mandate gets mixed reviews

By  Nancy Frazier O'Brien, Catholic News Service
  • February 10, 2012

WASHINGTON - In an move that appears unlikely to end the controversy over a federal mandate that all health insurance plans include contraception and sterilization free of charge, President Barack Obama outlined a plan that would allow religious employers not to offer such services to their employees but would compel insurance companies to do so.

The president announced the policy in a brief statement Feb. 10 but took no questions.

"No women's health should depend on who she is, who she works for or how much money she makes," Obama said. He said the new policy remains faithful to the "core principle" of free preventive care, but also honors the principle of religious freedom, which "as a Christian, I cherish."

Cardinal-designate Timothy M. Dolan of New York, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, called the announcement "a first step in the right direction," but said "we reserve judgment on the details until we have them."

"We hope to work with the administration to guarantee that Americans' consciences and our religious freedom are not harmed by these regulations," he added.

The USCCB president said Americans of all faiths and of no faith had responded with "remarkable unity" against the mandate by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services because they were "worried about the erosion of religious freedom and governmental intrusion into issues of faith and morals."

Sister Carol Keehan, a Daughter of Charity who is president and CEO of the Catholic Health Association, praised what she called "a resolution ... that protects the religious liberty and conscience rights of Catholic institutions."

"The framework developed has responded to the issues we identified that needed to be fixed," she said in a statement. "We are pleased and grateful that the religious liberty and conscience protection needs of so many ministries that serve our country were appreciated enough that an early resolution of this issue was accomplished."

But U.S. Rep. Chris Smith, R-N.J., a Catholic who has co-chaired the bipartisan Congressional Pro-Life Caucus since 1982, said the policy announced by Obama "is the discredited old policy, dressed up to look like something else."

He said the requirement that insurance companies provide contraception and sterilization free of charge to all employees of religious organizations would still place the cost ultimately on the religious employers. "Who pays for the insurance policy?" he asked. "The religious employer."

Obama said he had spoken to Catholic officials directly "from the very beginning of this process" and had promised them that "we would spend the next year working with institutions like Catholic hospitals and Catholic universities to find an equitable solution that protects religious liberty and ensures that every woman has access to the care that she needs."

He said the policy announced Jan. 20 had prompted "many genuine concerns, ... as well as, frankly, the more cynical desire on the part of some to make this into a political football." Because of that, Obama said, he directed HHS "to speed up the process that had already been envisioned."

HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said the final rule was to be published in the Federal Register later Feb. 10.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location
Type the text presented in the image below

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.