Father Guyo Waqo was among five people found guilty and sentenced to death for the 2005 slaying of Italian Bishop Luigi Locati (pictured).

Priest among five convicted of bishop's 2005 slaying in Kenya

By  Francis Njuguna, Catholic News Service
  • November 6, 2014

NAIROBI, Kenya - A Catholic priest was among five people found guilty and sentenced to death for the 2005 slaying of Italian Bishop Luigi Locati.

Judge Fred Ochieng described Father Guyo Waqo as the mastermind of the plot as the eight-year trial concluded Nov. 6.

The judge said he believed the priest recruited Mohammed Molu Bagajo, Adan Ibrahim Mohammed, Mahati Ali Halake and Diqa Wario Mohammed to carry out the shooting death of the 77-year-old bishop in July 2005 after a disagreement over cash donations to the Isiolo apostolic vicariate the bishop was overseeing.

A sixth co-defendant, Roba Balla Bariche, was acquitted by Ochieng, who said he "was not involved in the plot despite the fact that the gun used in the crime had been obtained from him."

Ochieng immediately imposed the death sentence on the defendants. But it is unlikely the sentence will be carried out because Kenya has not carried out any executions since 1987, although capital punishment is not formally abolished.

The defendants' attorney, Ojwang Agina, told the court that they planned to appeal the death sentence.

Ordained priest in 1952, Bishop Locati arrived in Kenya in 1963. He established the vicariate in Isiolo, 150 miles north of Nairobi, that year and was ordained a bishop in 1996.

Comments (1)

This comment was minimized by the moderator on the site

A priest killing his bishop - a despicable crime. I wonder why it took so long to convict him?

Rev. Phil Mares, M.M.
There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location
Type the text presented in the image below

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.