Pope deplores Belgian Church raid

By  Sarah Delaney, Catholic News Service
  • June 30, 2010
Belgium policeVATICAN CITY - Pope Benedict XVI joined a chorus of criticism of a raid on Belgian Church headquarters by police seeking evidence of alleged clergy sexual abuse.

In a June 27 letter of solidarity to Belgian bishops, he called the blitz on the Mechelen-Brussels archdiocese “surprising and deplorable” for the heavy-handed way it was carried out. However, the Pope also reiterated his position that accusations of abuse of minors within the Catholic Church should be pursued by civil as well as Church authorities.


Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, Vatican secretary of state, had harsher words regarding the raid June 24, in which bishops gathered for a plenary meeting were detained all day as police confiscated cell phones, documents and computers.

“There are no precedents for this, not even in the old Communist regimes,” he told reporters in Rome June 26. “Magistrates held bishops for nine hours and searched the tombs of two cardinals,” Bertone said, likening the “unheard of” episode to a “kidnapping.”

Pope Benedict’s letter marking “this sad moment” was addressed to Mechelen-Brussels Archbishop Andre-Joseph Leonard, president of the Belgian bishops’ conference. The Pope expressed his “closeness and solidarity” with the bishops “for the surprising and deplorable methods of the searches” of the Mechelen Cathedral and archdiocesan buildings.

During the nine-hour search, a spokesman for the bishops’ conference said, police seized more than 400 files belonging to a commission established to investigate alleged abuse cases. Commission members announced June 28 they would resign because “the indispensable trust” between the commission and judicial authorities “no longer exists,” therefore compromising the commission’s relationship of trust with the victims, according to a statement from the bishops’ conference. The statement also said that members were prohibited from working because police had confiscated all of their materials.

Belgian Justice Minister Stefaan De Clerck defended the action, saying that bishops had been treated normally and that proper legal procedures were followed.

Vatican and Belgian Church authorities were particularly angered over the search of the tombs of two cardinals in the cathedral crypt. News reports said that holes had been drilled in the tombs and cameras inserted to look for possible hidden material.

Police searched the homes of Leonard as well as his predecessor at the helm of the Mechelen-Brussels archdiocese, Cardinal Godfried Danneels. It was not known what police were looking for at the cardinal’s home. He was archbishop during the service of former Bishop Roger Vangheluwe of Brugge, who stepped down in April after admitting to having sexually abused a young boy.

In May, the bishops of Belgium asked forgiveness of victims of priestly sexual abuse and promised wide-ranging steps to curb the problem in the future.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location

Please support The Catholic Register

Unlike many media companies, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our website. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible, which has become acutely important amid the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith-based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.