Bishop Monroe making strides in his recovery

By  Canadian Catholic News
  • November 4, 2010
Kamloops Bishop David MonroeKAMLOOPS, B.C. - Kamloops Bishop David Monroe is making a speedy recovery from a vicious assault when he was attacked Oct. 22 in the rectory of Sacred Heart Cathedral.

The bishop suffered severe head and body injuries after he opened the door to the rectory to the man who attacked him.

The bishops’ sisters have been in Kamloops since hearing of the attack the next day.

“Let’s just say he’s doing a lot of things he couldn’t do a few days ago,” Barb Macaulay told the Kamloops Daily News.

Macaulay and her sister Margaret Taddei have been overwhelmed by the support of the parish community and the Kamloops diocese, but have been turning away visitors to allow their brother time for rest and recovery.

“We appreciate their attachment up here, but there will be a time when visits will be beneficial to his recovery,” Taddei said.

In a release from the diocese, the sisters thanked all those who are “facilitating the recovery” of their brother, saying they “feel strong confidence in the quality of care that our brother will continue to receive.” And they thanked people from across the continent for their “outpouring of compassion and prayers.”

“Please know that the bishop is making daily progress, which is welcome and positive news.”

The sisters also expressed compassion for their brother’s alleged attacker, John Bandura, 30, and his family, acknowledging the difficulties they have been going through with their son.

“I know how powerless they feel and how hard it is on them,” Macaulay said.

“I am the mother of a son about the same age,” she told the Kamloops Daily News. “I can imagine how his mom and dad must be suffering.”

It is thought that Bandura has mental issues that may have contributed to the attack. On the evening of the assault, Bandura, accompanied by family members, admitted himself to Royal Inland Hospital. But he left the hospital not long after being admitted, breaking a window on his way out, which led to a call to police. Just over an hour later police learned of the assault on Monroe. Bandura was arrested at 1 a.m. Oct. 23.

Please support The Catholic Register

Unlike many media companies, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our website. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith-based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.