Mardi Gras time for OCY

By 
  • February 8, 2009
{mosimage}TORONTO - A Lenten/Mardi Gras retreat for teens will take place in Orillia, Ont., this year, as the archdiocese of Toronto’s Office of Catholic Youth strives to be more inclusive of its northern parishioners.

About 100 teens are expected to attend the Feb. 20-22 retreat which will feature a Mardi Gras dinner and dance on the Saturday night. They will experience catechesis sessions led by Toronto Auxiliary Bishop Peter Hundt at The Highwayman Inn & Conference Centre where the retreat takes place. They will be offered opportunities to deepen their faith in preparation for Lent with the help of a local music ministry team.

“We can’t be downtown-Toronto centric,” said Office of Catholic Youth director Christian Elia. “The archdiocese is vast and we must be acquainted with those who are doing wonderful work in the north, west, south and east.”

The OCY has previously held youth events in Midland and Barrie. This Orillia-based event, which promises to draw teens from all over the archdiocese, will offer teens the chance to reflect and also have fun as OCY plans to host a Mardi Gras party.

“It’s important to have good balance in our lives, plus Mardi Gras belongs to (Catholics),” Elia said. “We are a rejoicing people. Carnaval before Lent was started by Catholics in Venice and from Venice it spread out to other places around the world.”

Registrants have the choice of paying $50 for registration, transportation to and from Toronto, two nights accommodation, breakfast, Saturday lunch, Mardi Gras dinner and dance, or $30 for all the above minus transportation.

For more information, visit www.ocytoronto.org.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location
Type the text presented in the image below

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.