The Catholic Register, Canada's Catholic national newspaper, has an immediate opening for an ambitious and versatile young editor/reporter/photographer to co-ordinate its Youth Speak News program as well as contribute as a reporter to its weekly newspaper and online edition. This is a full-time position based in Toronto.
- Oversee the weekly production of Youth Speak News, a weekly component of The Catholic Register. YSN duties include mentoring a team of freelance youth reporters, developing story ideas, writing articles, photography, page layout on deadline, preparing a monthly newsletter, managing social media, and organizing an annual workshop/retreat.
- Contribute to the newspaper by developing original story ideas, liaising with editors regarding assigned stories and contributing professionally written news and feature articles and photography for use in the general news pages and online.
- Work with the Managing Editor on deadline to proof, correct and layout pages, and perform overall layout tasks when the Managing Editor is absent.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
- Proven skills in newspaper writing, editing, layout and photography;
- Strong ability in spelling, grammar, syntax, research and other editing skills;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently;
- Proven success as a leader and team player who is unflappable under deadline pressure;
- Experience in web reporting, social media and other digital communication;
- Capable of functioning well in a Mac environment that uses Adobe InDesign and Photoshop.
- 2 years experience at a daily or weekly newspaper or related media.
- Journalism degree, diploma or equivalent experience
- Must be available for some weekend and after hours assignments
- Must be comfortable working in a faith-based environment
- Car ownership a plus