Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski, former nuncio to the Dominican Republic, is pictured during a 2011 ceremony in Santo Domingo. The Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith found the archbishop guilty of sexual abuse of minors and has ordered that he be laicized. CNS photo/Orlando Barria, EPA

Pope Francis calls for ‘truth’ in case of former ambassador accused of abuse

By  Josephine McKenna, Religion News Service
  • December 4, 2014

VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis told authorities from the Dominican Republic that the “truth” must prevail in the investigation of a former Vatican ambassador who was convicted and defrocked for abusing teenage boys in the Caribbean country.

Francis met with the Dominican Republic’s chief prosecutor, Francisco Dominguez Brito, after his general audience at the Vatican Dec. 3 to discuss the case against former Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski, who was defrocked by the Vatican in June.

In a statement — also referred to on Vatican Radio — Dominguez Brito quoted Francis as stressing the need for “truth” in the case.

On Dec. 2, Dominguez Brito met with the Vatican’s top criminal prosecutor, Gian Piero Milano, and other Vatican officials to discuss the case after a visit to Wesolowski’s native Poland.

Wesolowski is the most senior Catholic official to be convicted by a Vatican body of sexually abusing minors. The 66-year-old nuncio, who was the Vatican’s ambassador to the Dominican Republic from 2008 to 2013, was recalled from his post last year and found guilty of sexual abuse by the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He may face criminal charges.

After his first court appearance, Wesolowski was placed under house arrest inside Vatican City pending a decision by the Vatican criminal court on whether to indict him. But the Vatican’s chief spokesman, Fr. Federico Lombardi, said the house arrest restrictions had been eased due to health concerns and because the time limit for his remand had expired.

“Wesołowski has been given some freedom of movement, but only within Vatican City and he is still limited in his communication with people outside (the walls of the Vatican),” Lombardi said.

Lombardi said the meeting between the legal officials was part of “international co-operation” and evidence gathering on the former archbishop’s activities. Wesolowski has recently been questioned by Vatican prosecutors and would be questioned again in the future, he said.

The Vatican has given the media no information about what crimes Wesolowski was convicted of, where or when the offenses took place or how many minors were involved.

Dominican prosecutors have previously said they had convincing evidence that the prelate molested young men there and he has also been accused of abuse in his native Poland.

The Vatican previously rejected a request from the Warsaw prosecutor’s office for Wesolowski’s extradition on the grounds he was “a citizen of the Vatican.”

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.