Jean-Baptise de Franssu, left, new president of the Vatican bank, outgoing President Ernst Von Freyberg, right, and Australian Cardinal George Pell, prefect of the Vatican Secretariat for the Economy, leave at the end of a news conference at the Vatican July 9. The Vatican said it will separate its bank's investment business from its church payments work to try to clean up after years of scandal, including allegations of money laundering and tax evasion. CNS photo/Tony Gentile, Reuters

Vatican investigates two former bank managers in embezzlement case

By  Cindy Wooden, Catholic News Service
  • December 9, 2014

VATICAN CITY - The Vatican City prosecutor has opened an investigation into possible embezzlement by two former top officials at the Institute for the Works of Religion, more commonly called the Vatican bank.

Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi, Vatican spokesman, said Dec. 7 that the prosecutor, Gian Piero Milano, opened the investigation of the two former bank officials “on a hypothesis of embezzlement for real estate operations in the period 2001-2008.” An investigation of possible collusion by their legal advisor in the real estate deals also is underway.

The possible embezzlement was reported to Milano by current bank officials who discovered irregularities during the Vatican bank’s internal verification of accounts and operations over the past year, Lombardi said.

The spokesman said the Vatican bank accounts of those involved have been frozen.

Angelo Caloia, the former bank president, and Lelio Scaletti, the former director general, are being investigated in connection with the sale of 29 Vatican-owned buildings in Rome and Milan, according to the Reuters news agency. The news agency, which said it had obtained Milano’s order freezing the accounts, said Milano suspects Caloia and Scaletti of entering in the Vatican books prices below what actually was received in the sales and of pocketing the difference, perhaps as much as 57 million euros (over $70 million).

The frozen Vatican bank accounts, Reuters said, contain 16 million euros (close to $20 million).

Liuzzo confirmed to Reuters that his account had been frozen, but he said the suspicions were “rubbish” and insisted all the money from the property sales had gone to the bank. Neither Caloia nor Scaletti responded to Reuters’ request for comment.

A statement dated Dec. 6 and posted on the Vatican bank’s web site confirmed officials there “pressed charges against two former managers and a lawyer some months ago, underlining its commitment to transparency and zero tolerance, including with regard to matters that relate to a more distant past.”

“We are very pleased that the Vatican authorities are taking decisive action,” said Jean Baptiste de Franssu, president of the bank’s board of supervisors.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.