Carroll drops appeal of dismissal

By 
  • March 13, 2009
TORONTO  - Former Toronto Catholic school trustee Oliver Carroll has dropped an appeal of a court decision which found him guilty of conflict of interest charges and led to his removal from the Toronto board.

“At end of the day, it’s really about Catholic education. There’s no point in having this replayed every two months for the next year,” he told The Register.

Carroll said it would have taken up to a year to get a decision on the appeal.

“The more I thought about it, we need to get on with things,” he said.

He also said financial considerations were a factor, adding that his last court case will likely cost him more than $30,000.

The Toronto Catholic District School Board removed Carroll from his seat on Feb. 6, the same day that Ontario Superior Court judge Jane Kelly gave her judgment on the case. According to Kelly, Carroll had “committed a number of acts of conflict of interest” when he participated in discussions and votes on budget decisions last year. Carroll was not supposed to take part in budget discussions because his daughter was employed as a teacher with the board at the time that he was chair.

Carroll said he hasn’t ruled out running in the next trustee elections in 2010.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location
Type the text presented in the image below

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.