The right hand of a nearly 10-foot tall statue of Archbishop Oscar Romero is seen cut off March 6 near Plaza El Divino Salvador del Mundo in San Salvador, El Salvador. Archbishop Romero recently was declared a martyr. CNS photo/Edgardo Ayala

In El Salvador, vandals damage statue of Archbishop Romero -- again

By  Edgardo Ayala, Catholic News Service
  • March 10, 2015

SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador - Vandals have damaged a prominent statue of slain Archbishop Oscar Romero, recently declared a martyr.

The right hand, which had been holding a cross, was cut off the three-metre monument, located near Plaza El Divino Salvador del Mundo.

Romero "is very much loved by a vast majority of Salvadorans, but he is also one of the most hated by a small minority," Marisa Martinez of the Archbishop Romero Foundation told Catholic News Service.

She said it was the sixth time that the statue had been vandalized — the same right hand chopped off — since the foundation placed it there in 2002. The statue also has been vandalized with paint.

Martinez said the foundation will do the restoration.

Romero was murdered March 24, 1980, by a sniper who acted under the orders of Maj. Roberto D'Aubuisson, according to the truth commission established by the United Nations in 1992 to investigate killings and human rights violations committed during the 1980-1992 Salvadoran civil war.

On Feb. 3, after Pope Francis declared that the archbishop was killed in hatred of the faith, the Vatican confirmed that Romero's beatification will be held this year in San Salvador.

Martinez said she believed that those who damaged the statue were from the right-wing groups who celebrated Romero's assassination in 1980.

"If those people celebrated the assassination of Romero, no wonder they are still determined not to accept him," she added.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location
Type the text presented in the image below

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.