A clergyman joins others in a "Bring Back Our Girls" gathering in Paris April 14. A year after more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls were kidnapped, Lagos Cardinal Anthony Olubunmi Okogie said he believed that "God will answer our prayers" for their return. CNS photo/Gonzalo Fuentes, Reuters

Nigeria marks one year since Boko Haram kidnapped schoolgirls

By  Fredrick Nzwili, Religion News Service
  • April 15, 2015

Nigerians staged ceremonies to remember the 219 schoolgirls abducted by the militant group Boko Haram in Chibok on April 14 one year ago.

In Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, demonstrators sang and waved placards calling for the girls’ release. Some wore T-shirts with inscriptions such as #365DaysOn, #NeverToBeforgotten and #BringBackOurGirlsNOW.

The girls were abducted from their boarding school by heavily armed Muslim militants. The kidnappings provoked outrage around the world and offers of assistance from the United States, where the #BringBackOurGirls campaign got widespread media attention.

Meanwhile, a Catholic priest in Nigeria said it was likely the children were still alive since their Muslim captors wanted to use them for ransom.

“They may not be all in one place or together,” said Fr. John Bakeni, a priest in the Diocese of Maiduguri. “Some may have died, for obvious reasons. But from the way some politicians are talking, I see their faces beaming with optimism.”

About 50 of the girls were seen three weeks ago, according to reports, although none has been rescued. In Chibok, there were high expectations as the military started combing the Sambisa forest, where the militants are believed to have hidden the children.

Boko Haram translates to “Western education is forbidden” in the Hausa language. Its insurgents have unleashed waves of violence in northern Nigeria, but the girls’ abduction is viewed as the most terrifying so far.

“It is a deep pain for the families whose daughters disappeared suddenly without a trace,” Archbishop Ignatius Kaigama of Jos, Nigeria, told Fides News Agency. “I can imagine their anguish.”

Last month’s election of Muhammadu Buhari has inspired a new hope over the children’s rescue. But in a statement April 14, Buhari said he did not know whether the girls could be rescued.

But he added: “I say to every parent, family member and friends of the children that my government will do everything within its powers to bring them home.”

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location
Type the text presented in the image below

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.