A woman consoles her children at a street memorial March 23 following bomb attacks in Brussels. Three nearly simultaneous attacks March 22 claimed the lives of dozens and injured more than 200. CNS photo/Vincent Kessler, Reuters

Brussels archbishop thanks Christians for support after attacks

By  Jonathan Luxmoore, Catholic News Service
  • March 24, 2016

OXFORD, England - The Brussels archbishop thanked Christians for gestures of support in the wake of bomb attacks in his city and urged Belgians not to react by stoking anti-foreigner feeling.

"The messages we've received from everywhere — from the Pope and bishops worldwide — are very important as signs of fraternity, which let us feel how we are united in faith and in humanity," said Archbishop Josef De Kesel of Mechelen-Brussels, president of the Belgian bishops' conference.

"We must stay faithful to our message of peace and go on promoting a discourse which appeals for acceptance, brotherhood and co-existence. This type of attack shows how anyone can be affected and the great danger that fear will appear everywhere. There's a temptation to react by turning against migrants and refugees, who'll become victims once again."

The archbishop spoke to France's Catholic La Croix daily after the March 22 terrorist attacks, which left at least 34 dead at Zaventem airport and the city's Maelbeek metro station. The Belgian government announced three days of national mourning after attacks, for which the Islamic State group claimed credit.

In the March 23 La Croix interview, De Kesel said Brussels remained in shock from the attacks, which paralyzed communication links throughout the city.

However, he added that Catholic clergy had been "visibly there for the victims," and said the airport chaplain, Fr. Michel Gaillard, had been "aiding and accompanying" families of victims since the explosions.

During his general audience at the Vatican March 23, Pope Francis prayed and asked people "to unite in the unanimous condemnation of these cruel abominations that have caused only death, terror and horror."

Jesuit Father Tommy Scholtes, spokesman for the Belgian bishops, said he hoped Easter Masses would continue as planned at city churches.

"We hope people will rise up and recover from these events, and life (will) return to normal in a few days," he told Catholic News Service. "But for now, the airport and many train stations are closed and movement is disrupted while the security forces seek those behind these attacks, so it's hard to predict how long this will take."

Traditional Holy Week chrism Masses were cancelled March 22 in several churches, and the Belgian bishops urged Catholics to observe a period of silence for the victims as church bells were rung at midday March 23.

In Havana March 22, U.S. President Barack Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro joined the overflow crowd in Estadio Latinoamericano for a moment of silence for victims of the bombings before an exhibition baseball game between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Cuban national team.
Ukrainian Catholic Bishop Borys Gudziak of Paris, whose diocese includes Belgium, said the attacks were an effort to cripple Europe's openness to others.

"By assailing Europeans and assaulting hospitable and open Europe, terrorists seek to push the continent into throes of fear," he said. "Why? Because fear is a great manipulator, a wicked tool of control. Brussels is the nerve centre for united Europe whose countries witnessed the horrors of the World War II and decided to eliminate war between neighbours: to rid themselves of fear of the other, to open hearts and demilitarize borders. This openness is a great grace and gift of Europe to the world."

The Brussels-based Pax Christi International expressed shock at the violence and said it stood in solidarity with the victims and their families.

"Witnessing again the tragedy of the human capacity to destroy life and to violate human dignity, we reaffirm our commitment to be guided, not by the fear and hatred that are the seeds of terror and war, but by love and nonviolence," the worldwide Catholic peace organization said in a statement released hours after the bombings.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, the largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States, also offered its solidarity to Belgians and sent condolences to the families and loved ones of the victims.

"Such heinous attacks are antithetical to the ideals of civilized society" the council said in a statement.

The Belgian Muslim Executive said it was appealing "in the name of all citizens of the Muslim faith" for "unity and togetherness in a front against all forms of violence and terrorism."

It added that Belgian Muslims reaffirmed "their deep attachment to democratic values," supported efforts by the "forces of order," and backed the "public authorities charged with guaranteeing the country's security and social cohesion."

De Kesel said people must recognize that radicalized groups "are an extremely small minority."

"This act is of such a level that it surpasses any religious question — it is only intended to spread terror, and this is why we must avoid being turned against Islam by it. Yes, Islam is there, and Muslims form part of our city. But they could do nothing about what's happened and should not be made victims a second time."

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.