Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos, center left, and first lady Maria Clemencia de Santos arrive at the Colombian Congress in Bogota to present the FARC peace accord on Aug. 25, 2016. RNS Photo/John Vizcaino, Reuters

Pope welcomes deal with Colombian rebels

By  Josephine McKenna, Religion News Service
  • August 31, 2016

VATICAN CITY – Pope Francis has welcomed a groundbreaking deal reached between the Colombian government and rebels that promises to end more than 50 years of violent conflict.

According to a statement released Wednesday (Aug. 31) by the secretariat of state, the pope was “pleased to learn that negotiations have been finalized” after intense discussions.

“He reiterates his support for the goal of attaining the peace and reconciliation of the entire Colombian people, in light of human rights and Christian values, which are at the heart of Latin American culture,” the Vatican statement said.

Last week, the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), the main leftist rebel group, agreed to end one of the world’s longest-running insurgencies. The conflict has claimed more than 220,000 lives and displaced millions of others.

Under the terms of the agreement, FARC will give up its armed struggle and join the legal political process. The cease-fire went into effect last Monday.

The Vatican said the pope had been invited to appoint a representative to a committee that would select the judges for a Special Peace Tribunal.

But he declined, saying it would be more appropriate for the task to be given to parties outside the church, the Vatican said.

FARC fighters are expected to vote on the accord in September and a popular vote is expected in Colombia in early October.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location
Type the text presented in the image below

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.