Opposition supporters in Kinshasa, Congo, chant slogans during a Sept. 19, 2016 protest. The country's bishops say there is has been an eruption of violence against Catholics in eastern Congo since the church's peace mediation plan collapsed. CNS photo/Kenny Katombe, EPA

Congo's bishops: Catholics in east face new wave of violence

By 
  • April 6, 2017

KINSHASA, Congo – Congo's bishops said Catholics are facing a new wave of violence following the collapse of a church mediation plan, and in some places church leaders have fled to the forest.

In late March, the bishops abandoned attempts to arrange a government-opposition power-sharing settlement and, within days, violence erupted in eastern Congo.

"The militias are continuing their macabre operations – each passing day sees new killings and burning of religious buildings," said a statement on the bishops' conference website.

"The worst affected is the Diocese of Luebo, where the bishop's house, library, sisters' convent and vehicles have been burned, and priests and religious have fled to the forest with other inhabitants. The situation is harsh and unbearable."

The statement followed attacks on church personnel and property in Congo's Kasai and Kivu regions.

Bishop Sebastien Muyengo Mulombe of Uvira said the situation in Kivu had been exacerbated by the arrival of 15,000 refugees from neighboring Burundi, adding that he had been forced to suspend wages to teachers at local church schools after a delivery driver was killed in a robbery.

"The militias are arming young people who can't continue studies and have no work; in these conditions, for $20, you can manipulate whomever you wish," the bishop told France's Catholic La Croix daily April 3. "We are in a state of permanent insecurity, of car-hijacking, pillaging and killing. These are reported to us each day."

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location
Type the text presented in the image below

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.