An aerial view shows a pedestrian bridge that collapsed March 15 at Florida International University in Miami. Authorities in Florida's Miami-Dade area said at least six people have died but the number could rise as they search through the rubble. CNS photo/Joe Skipper, Reuters

Miami Archdiocese offers prayers after bridge collapse

By 
  • March 17, 2018
WASHINGTON – Authorities in Florida's Miami-Dade area said at least six people have died but the number could rise as they search through the rubble of a pedestrian bridge that collapsed March 15 near Florida International University.

Via Twitter, the Archdiocese of Miami said it was "saddened to learn of the tragic event that has affected our community this afternoon. Please join us in praying for everyone involved."

The archdiocese also said March 15 that it was praying for victims, those injured, their loved ones, first responders and the university community.

News reports said that because of a red light, various cars had stopped under the bridge, which had been lifted into place just days before it collapsed. Some are questioning the construction method used to build the 960-ton structure meant to bring greater safety to those trying to cross the eight lanes of traffic below.

Juan Perez, director of the Miami-Dade Police Department, said March 16 that crews were working to break some of the bigger pieces of concrete into smaller ones to get to the vehicles and those trapped in them underneath.

"Our first priority is getting to those victims," he said.

Authorities said 10 people with injuries were at area hospitals, with two of them in critical condition.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location
Type the text presented in the image below

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.