An Ethiopian police officer stands guard during a pro-government rally in Addis Ababa Nov. 7. People were denouncing what rally organizers say is interference by the Tigray People’s Liberation Front and Western countries in internal affairs of the country. CNS photo/Tiksa Negeri, Reuters

Salesians arrested amid Ethiopian violence

By 
  • November 10, 2021

NAIROBI, Kenya -- Ethiopian government forces raided a centre run by the Salesians of Don Bosco in Addis Ababa Nov. 5 and arrested 17 people, including priests, religious brothers and employees.

Most were from the Ethiopian region of Tigray and were taken to an unidentified destination.

“All of them are still in prison. They are still being kept in an unknown prison. The provincial superior is among them,” said a source who could not be named for safety reasons.

“We continue to pray for peace. The situation is very delicate.”

One Twitter post said the priests and others were accused of sending money to Tigray. Relief aid to the region has been blocked and people are said to be starving.

The most recent conflict began in November 2020 when Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed Ali, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, launched an attack on the administration of the semi-autonomous region. He accused the regional administration of attacking a national army base in the Tigray capital, Mekele.

Since then, thousands have died and more than one million people have been displaced as the conflict spread to other regions of the country.

Rebels of the Tigray Defense Forces have signed an agreement with another eight groups and are advancing on the capital. The prime minister declared a six-month state of emergency and urged residents of Addis Ababa to arm themselves to protect neighbourhoods.

The Salesians, who began working in Ethiopia in 1975, have an established presence in Tigray. The order’s website says 100 members of the order live in about 14 houses spread across Ethiopia, where they run schools and vocational training centres and homes for street children.

The Pope expressed concern over the increasing violence in the country on Nov. 8 while addressing pilgrims at St. Peter’s Square.

“I invite everyone to pray for these people so sorely tried and I renew my appeal that fraternal harmony and the peaceful path of dialogue may prevail,” the Pope said.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location

Please support The Catholic Register

Unlike many media companies, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our website. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith-based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.