Former Antigonish Bishop Raymond Lahey Photo by Deborah Gyapong

Bishop Lahey to be released today

By 
  • January 4, 2012

OTTAWA - Former Antigonish Bishop Raymond Lahey was sentenced to 15 months in prison Jan. 4, but will be released today as he has received a two-for-one credit for time served.

The Crown had sought an 18- to 22-month sentence.

Lahey has already served eight months in prison after pleading guilty to possessing child pornography for the purposes of importation to Canada in May. He was imprisoned after pleading guilty on his own request.

The 71-year-old was arrested in September 2009 after border security at the Ottawa airport checked his personal computer and found a large cache of pornography. At his sentencing hearing Dec. 19, Lahey said he was addicted to Internet pornography and had been involved in a 10-year relationship with a man that he hoped to continue upon his release.

Lahey faces probation provisions that will allow a search of his computer at any time, the forfeiting of electronic devices seized upon his detention at the airport and he must notify his probation officer if he is to leave Canada for more than 48 hours.

Bishop Brian Joseph Dunn, who replaced Lahey as bishop of Antigonish, issued a statement that said Lahey's case " has caused a great deal of hurt, disappointment and anger within and outside of our Diocese."

"Church leaders are called to provide good example and to show moral integrity in their lives. When they commit serious moral failures, this can have a significant impact on the faith community. This is especially so when it involves the crime of child pornography," Dunn said.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location

Please support The Catholic Register

Unlike many media companies, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our website. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible, which has become acutely important amid the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith-based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.