Photo by Franklin Almeida on Unsplash

Humboldt honours victims of Broncos’ bus crash

By 
  • April 6, 2020

The church bells of St. Augustine’s Catholic Church in Humboldt, Sask., are to chime 29 times at 4:50 p.m. (CST) April 6 to remember the 16 who died and 13 others injured two years ago when the Humboldt Broncos’ team bus collided with a semi-trailer near Tisdale in northern Saskatchewan.

This year’s toned down commemorations are in stark contrast to last year’s when a nation was still mourning the young men and team officials who died or had their lives forever changed while travelling to the team’s playoff game in Nipawin.

St. Augustine’s is at the heart of this year’s commemoration. Beyond the ringing of the bells, the parish centre will host a special exhibit bringing together the creative and unique memorabilia the city received in the days, weeks and month that followed the horrific crash. Original plans had the exhibit being open to the public, but COVID-19 restrictions have put a stop to that. Instead, people can view the exhibit at humboldt.ca/tribute.

The ceremonies surrounding this year’s anniversary are purposely toned down, said St. Augustine’s pastor Fr. Joseph Salihu. Since the first anniversary there’s been a conscious community effort to leave the mourning with the families affected.

“We’re thinking of a way to still remember them without drawing too much communal (grieving),” said Salihu. “So that memorial was a very good way of doing it, so people can come on their own as individuals to look at the memorial without really gathering collectively for that celebration.”

St. Augustine’s is honoured to take part in this commemoration, said Salihu.

“St. Augustine’s is very proud and privileged to still be able to uphold that heritage within the community,” he said.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location

Please support The Catholic Register

Unlike many media companies, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our website. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible, which has become acutely important amid the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith-based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.