Lights illuminate shoes and stuffed toys outside of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School June 6, 2021. CNS photo/Jennifer Gauthier, Reuters

Bishops mark Kamloops anniversary

By 
  • May 25, 2022

Like millions of Canadians who came to see their history in a new light, Canada’s Catholic bishops were galvanized and spurred to action by the discovery of graves at the former Kamloops Indian Residential School one year ago.

“Over the last year, the Catholic Church’s reconciliation efforts have been galvanized by the reports from Kamloops, and elsewhere across the country,” the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops said in a statement marking the anniversary of the Kamloops discovery. “With humility, we have sought to undertake the necessary steps to meaningfully accompany Indigenous peoples on the long journey towards healing and reconciliation.”

The May 23 CCCB statement links the Kamloops discoveries of over 200 probable gravesites to the bishops’ decision in September to issue a unanimous apology from every bishop and to arrange for delegations of Indigenous elders, leaders and residential school survivors to meet with Pope Francis in Rome. In April Pope Francis issued his own apology after hearing from survivors.

“This journey is far from over and Canada’s Catholic bishops recognize we must continue to walk in solidarity with the First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples of this land,” the bishops said.

Please support The Catholic Register

Unlike many media companies, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our website. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith-based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.