Newfoundland diocese settles abuse claim

By 
  • January 6, 2009
{mosimage}The Corner Brook and Labrador diocese in Newfoundland has cut a cheque for $13 million and turned the page on a sexual abuse case that drove the diocese into bankruptcy.

The final payment to almost 40 men who had been abused as boys by a priest in several rural parishes was about $2 million less than originally envisioned in the settlement between victims and the diocese. But it avoided further court proceedings that would have delayed payment and eaten up the settlement in legal costs, said Bishop Doug Crosby.

The former priest, Kevin Bennett, was sentenced in 1990 to four years in jail for his crimes.

"We're now able to think about the future," Crosby told The Catholic Register. "It's really a blessing that it's done."

In March 2005 the now defunct diocese of St. George's went into bankruptcy, turned over all its investments and other financial assets and began a process of selling off all its properties to pay the victims of Bennett. The diocese also pursued an insurance claim which became part of the final $13 million.

Though Crosby has offered to meet individually with each victim, has sent letters to the victims and has publicly apologized on behalf of his church, bitterness and anger remains and none of the victims have chosen to meet with Crosby.

"I haven't heard a single (victim) say anything good about the Catholic Church," victims' lawyer Greg Stack told the CBC.

"I don't know what else we can do," Crosby said.

Crosby marvels at the steadfastness of his priests and lay people who have remained committed while their churches were sold and their faith equated with sexual exploitation.

"It has been very painful, but they're there and continue to be there," he said. "The priests have been very, very faithful to the people. I honour the fact they have been faithful."

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location
Type the text presented in the image below

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.