Mombasa Luigi Guarino, Wikimedia Commons

Kenyan city of Mombasa tense after mosque closures

By  Fredrick Nzwili, Religion News Service
  • November 21, 2014

NAIROBI, Kenya - Christian and Muslim leaders fear more violence in the coastal city of Mombasa after the government indefinitely closed four mosques over suspected terror activities.

Religious and political leaders united today to urge the government to reopen the mosques. Muslim leaders accused the government of insensitivity, while Christian leaders feared being targeted in revenge attacks.

“We have always advised the government against adopting these counterproductive and draconian measures. It is unfortunate they ignored the Muslim leaders,” said Sheikh Abdulghafur El-Busaidy, the chairman of the Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims.

In the first such move in Kenya’s history, the government announced the mosques closed after police raids earlier in the week netted grenades, petrol bombs and ammunition. Recently, the mosques have been linked to Somali’s Islamist militants Al-Shabab. Black flags used by the militants were also seized, and more than 300 youths were arrested.

On Monday, Joshua Muteti, a local church pastor, died of a machete blow to the back of his head as gangs on revenge attacks rampaged on streets, beating and stabbing people. Three other people were also killed.

“There is a lot of fear,” said the Rev. Martin Wesonga of the Anglican Church in Mombasa. “People are not carrying Bibles openly. I am not wearing my clerical collar. I am anxious about this coming Sunday; armed gangs may pull Christians out of cars and buses and attack them.”

Recent unexplained killings of Christian and Muslim clergy by unknown gunmen is threatening to disrupt the fragile co-existence between the faiths in the region.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location
Type the text presented in the image below

Support The Catholic Register

Unlike many other news websites, The Catholic Register has never charged readers for access to the news and information on our site. We want to keep our award-winning journalism as widely available as possible. But we need your help.

For more than 125 years, The Register has been a trusted source of faith based journalism. By making even a small donation you help ensure our future as an important voice in the Catholic Church. If you support the mission of Catholic journalism, please donate today. Thank you.